Through Glass Vias (TGVs) represent a critical technology for next generation 2.5D and 3D IC packaging and are a key enabler of high performance devices requiring low cost manufacturing. APEX® Glass enables the production of TGV's with accurate placement of 1 to 10,000,000 TGV's using high volume, batch processing methods. We utilize a non-mechanical chemical etch to achieve unparalleled quality of the TGV's that minimizes problems, such as structural integrity, that laser ablation introduces to the process.
Through Glass Vias (TGVs)
Legacy packaging materials, such as laminates, alumina, and silicon, possess many performance limiting factors. Surface roughness, processing costs, minimum feature size, and poor material properties limit device and system performance.
Advantages of APEX® Glass
APEX® Glass overcomes many of the limitations associated with traditional packaging materials by providing a manufacturing process to create small, densely packed through hole arrays with industry leading electrical redistribution capability.
APEX® Glass enables the highest level of systems integration onto a single material platform. With APEX® Glass you can integrate sensors, MEMS, logic, memory, and passives into a single electronic package.
- Possess anisotropic sidewall angles >88o
- Aspect ratios of up to 10:1
- Through Glass Via diameters down to 10 µm
- Blind vias as small as 20 µm in diameter and 130 µm deep
- Multiple diameters on the same package
- Micro-scale precision of etched features
- Edge-to-edge spacing as small as 10 µm
- Unique Through Glass Via structures such as squares, lines, ovals, corporate logos, and others
|60µm diameter TGVs at 120µm pitch||Polished cross-section of Cu-filled TGVs||Power amplifier electronic package made in APEX® Glass|
Value Added Processing
3D Glass Solutions provides complete glass systems integration services, including through hole formation, through hole copper filling, and various redistribution metallizations and insulations.
Our copper filled through holes offer the following advantages:
- 100% metal-filled TGVs with no voids
- Filled TGVs with aspect ratios as high as 8:1
- Hermetic-filled vias
- Low-stress, copper plating prevents “pistoning” during thermo-cycles
- Metal-filled TGVs as small as 30µm in diameter
3D Glass Solutions works closely with our customers to provide prototyping, low/mid volume production and bridge manufacturing. For ultra high volumes (>10,000 200mm wafers per month) we leverage our network of supply chain partners to ensure seamless transition into high yield, low cost high-volume manufacturing.