3D Glass Solutions provides systems integration solutions for a wide array of Optoelectronic and Opto-RF products, ranging from mechanical spacers, fiber optic alignment trenches, to completely integrated optoelectronic packages.
APEX® Glass-based Optoelectronic and Opto-RF packages offer higher degrees of systems integration than traditional glass substrates and legacy packaging materials, such as silicon, laminates, and ceramics.
These advantages include:
- Significantly reduced systems production costs
- Reduce package height by more than 70%
- Reduce package chip size by more than 50%
- Trench width and depth tolerances as small as 0.5 microns
- The complete integration of fiber optic trenches, cavities, and through glass vias for I/Os and electrical redistribution.
- Integration of vertical turning mirrors for chip-to chip and fiber-to chip communications
- Integration of optical waveguides and lenses
- integration of angled vias for I/Os and electrical redistribution
Examples of Manufactured Features
|A 100µm deep fiber optic trench ending into a 45° vertical turning mirror||Cross-section of a 100µm deep and 150µm wide fiber optic alignment trench||30° angled Through Glass Vias (TGVs) in 1mm thick glass|
End User Applications
- Mechanical spacers
- Single-mode and multi-mode fiber optic alignment chips
- Fiber-to-Chip Optoelectronics
- Chip-to-Chip Optoelectronics
- Optical windows
General Optoelectronic and OPTO-RF Design Rules
New techniques and capabilities are continuously being explored at 3D Glass Solutions, but below are some basic design rules for the integration of through glass vias (TGV) for I/Os and secondary optoelectronic structures.
|Final Glass Thickness||250 – 1000 microns|
|Fiber Trench Width||25 - 200 microns|
|Fiber Trench Depth||25 - 150 microns|
|Cavity Depth||25 – 800 microns|
|Cavity Aspect Ratio||5:1 (depth:width)|
|Minimum Cavity Size||30 microns|
|Standard Cavity Sidewall Angle||Less than 2 degrees (2°)|
|Advanced Cavity Sidewall Angle||Up to 45 degrees (45°)|
|TGV Aspect Ratio||7:1 (Glass thickness:TGV Diameter)|
|Minimum TGV Spacing from Cavity||100 microns|